Friday

Living in the "Later"

One of my personality traits is that I look ahead: I like to plan and look forward to things. In fact, I am happiest looking forward, and seem to forget recent events almost as soon as they happen. I remember them if reminded, but don't spend much time reflecting unless something is wrong that I want to figure out.

It's not that I don't enjoy the present, but the mental activity of planning is like solving a puzzle, or painting a picture. It involves a creativity that I enjoy.

Truth be told, it is often based on past experiences that I imagine future possibilities. But also it is based on scriptures and promises in the Bible of things I may not yet have experienced. One of my favorite books is Ecclesiastes because it contains so much information about what is worth planning for, and what ambitions lead to meaningless results.

Ecclesiastes 2:26 To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God.