Wednesday

Shopping for Souvenirs

I browsed a rack covered with small pins in a souvenir store. Not collector pins, but ones with brash little sayings about marijuana, rock music, and beer -inexpensive bait for the frugal tourist shopper. Among them I noticed one that said "Jesus loves you, but I'm his favourite". Seeing this among the others did bring to mind some interesting questions. Apart from that - and being his favourite - I purchased the pin!
Of course, it's not really accurate, "for God does not show favouritism" (Romans 2:11 NIV). Yet it touches on a lovely idea: each believer being so loved that they all feel like His favourite. To me, the teasing humour also conveys "Jesus loves you" to readers in a disarming way. At least I hope it's disarming, like all humour it could be misinterpreted. But my hope is it will convey this idea, and also bring a smile.